Saturday, February 28, 2009

BIG FISH 22 January 2009


Every time I see this movie, I am amazed by its artistry. The slow build to the intense emotion between father and son is masterful. Billy Crudup's tension is a beautiful foil to Arthur Finney's wide-eyed calm. And the idea that a traveling salesman's life is not only full of wonder, but magic and unexpected love, is comforting to someone who may be living what looks like a "typical" life, at least on the outside. There is priceless value in the life of a man with an open mind and an heart of infinite size. And let's not forget the fun of stunning conjoined twins who are friends with a peaceful giant who worked for a circus full of floating popcorn run by Danny DeVito whose right hand man is best known in America as Willy Wonka's OompaLoompa (much less be one the most beloved movie actors of all time in India). And a sweet love story played out in the bathtub between Finney and Jessica Lange! Thank you Film Club for BIG FISH.

2 comments:

  1. The movie Big Fish I really never understood. It just seemed confusing to me when i watched it, I know the main idea about it but I still didn't understand the way that the movie show the idea. Personally I didn't really like the movie, but that's just my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will admit that the first time I saw this I was completely confused. I didn't understand it until the second time I watched it and I was in awe. I love this movie, and Ewan McGregor. I am always a sucker for a love story and this pulled me in. I was so wrapped up in the re-telling of his father's life. I would a absolutely recommend this movie!

    ReplyDelete