Monday, March 2, 2009

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE


I wanted to see this for months, and it finally arrived here is dinky ole Delaware. Prepared for a light entertainment, (Bollywood USA-style?) I was completely unprepared for the beauty of the cinematography, the music, the acting, all of it. I loved it. I sat on the edge of my seat as the story was revealed one episode at a time. No sympathy, no foreshadowing of a happy ending. Only Jamal's steadfast love of Latika kept him alive, and me watching. I was terrified that he would not survive. My pained expression lasted through the entire movie. It has been a long time since I have been willing to to watch an entire movie with a sick feeling, but I could not leave until I knew. More later as I digest.
3/29 This movie belongs to the young-the three children whose shining eyes and tortured lives radiate with all that the rest of us have lost: faith, trust, hope. They should not be able to trust anyone else, or believe that life would be better tomorrow, or hope that there would be a happy ending, but they do. This film reminds us that our Annie is just a cartoon.

1 comment:

  1. Seeing Slumdog Millionaire changed my life! Well, not really. However it really made a mark on me when I saw it. I had no idea the movie would be so good. The first time I heard of it, I thought to myself, "a movie about Indian people? No, thanks. Can't be that interesting." It sounds bad when I put it in such a way, I know. One day a friend of mine had downloaded an extremely good quality bootleg and sent it to me. The movie really left me thinking and in awe. The cinematography and music was amazing. I truly respect A.R Rahmen for producing such fitting music for that movie. The story was so moving; three young kids traveling all around India to survive, and a love story between Latika and Jamal. All of Jamal's life, he searched for Latika far and wide, and finally found her by going on the show "Who wants to be a millionaire", because he knew he would be watching, since that was her only escape to reality from the life she was living as a girlfriend of a notorious gangster. The movie was so sad, but inspiring. Not many kids in America go through experiences Jamal, his brother, and Latika do. Here in America we have the riches and luxuries. In my book, I'd say Slumdog Millionaire and Dark Knight has a tie to greatest movies.

    ReplyDelete